magnets

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: magnets
From: "Fred Thomas" <vafred@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 14:32:00 -0400
When, going to check out a used car a few things to keep in mind =

# 1- never walk up to a car straight on, always at a angle, look for small
waves in the metal/paint, magnets are not much good in todays hi-tech
restorations, do to "Heavy-Primer", multiple coats of different types of
paint, and many other methods used in redoing a antique car. Who ever said
bondo is bad, could be many uses for bondo, not just hiding rust, put the
car up in the air and look behind the panels, what you are looking for is
welded over metal patches, these can be short life areas, you can fix a
panel, but, a bent frame, forget it. With most of our LBC's in the 30 to 40
year old age brackets, and some of the owners and treatment they have had,
we are very lucky to still have so many around, Bondo is only bad, when its
globbed on and anything else is used to hide holes.

# 2- the single most important item to check in a used car = I know most of
you will not agree with me here but = "CARPET" = , if they took care of the
inside then they took care of the under side also, dirty carpet means dirty
all the way through, been there done this for over = 40 years =
Remember our cars are 30/40 years old in most cases, and like our cars we
have a few creases, aches, pains, and  even have a little bondo, and please
less not talk about the wrinkles, new car dept. is just down the block.
"FT"