Re: Floor Pan Rust Removal

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Floor Pan Rust Removal
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 09:53:04 -0400
At 04:57 AM 8/26/99 -0700, Chris Jones wrote:

>...My next question involves the rust on my "new" '79.  It is mostly
>free of rust but must have been left in the rain at least once because
>the floor boards in the passenger cabin are rusty.  The underside is
>clean, but the top side is rusted......

>   What should my next step be before repainting it?  Some people have
>suggested phosphoric acid, but I'm not really sure how to use it.
>Others have suggested rust-inhibiting paint, but I'd really like to get
>the surface as clean as possible first.  Any suggestions?

Chris,

  I would definately use the phosphoric acid.  There are many commercial
names for this, DuPont has a metal conditioner, Ospho, etc. Once you have
all the paint off the metal, I take the phosophoric acid and pour it into
a small container (like a cat food can).  Then I use a sponge with the
green scrubby backs.  Wipe the chemical onto the floor pan.  You want to
keep it wet while you are doing this.  So you may have to go over an area
a couple times, or do a part of the floor board, then move on.  I use the
green side to scrub the area I'm working.  You will see the metal darken
some and any rust turn black.

Once the area has been covered, take a clean towel (I use paper towels) and
wipe the area dry.

Different products have slightly different requirements.  So read the
directions on the lable of what ever product you purchase.

John

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V (B1109)
71 Saab Sonett III (71500840)    75 Bricklin SV1 (0887)    77 Spitfire

Morgan: www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin: www.bricklin.org