Sills and front bulkhead.

To: "Spit list" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Sills and front bulkhead.
From: "James Carpenter" <james.carpenter@jccsystems.swinternet.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 23:21:37 +0100
OK

We all know that the sills rot and your door gaps go and the top of the
screen gets lower and further back.  Leading to the door glass rubbing two
inches from the top of the glass.  1/4 of the list now panic that there car
presents this symptoms.

Now I had believed until late that this was caused because the chassis being
bent where it was taking all the load, but then I realised the chassis does
not take any load from the bulkhead and windscreen at all, only through the
dash support!  Given that the mounting  for this has been beaten up by the
DPO to compensate for the angle of the bulkhead.

Now I want to replace the drivers floor pan first, followed by both sills.
Do I need to bother to jig the front bulkhead to the original position (not
current position) when doing just the floor if I don't weld the floor to the
sills.

Then when I replace the sills, to I need to jig the front bulkhead to
exactly the original position or just over the original position.

What is the best way of jigging the bulkhead to bring it back to original.

James C