Re: which tool would you get?

To: larry hooven <dirty_howi@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: which tool would you get?
From: "Victor B. Michael" <vmichael@enteract.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 13:29:40 -0500
> question is can a grinder be succesfully used as a cut off tool with the
> correct wheel...

absolutely. and does a very fine job of it, too.
you can also use it as a sander.

> will a 3 in wheel work on a 4.5 grinder, if no 4.5 cutoff wheel is available.

i used a 4" cut-off wheel in 4.5" grinder. it worked fine.

-but-

My DeWalt's mounting plate was probably 3" alone, so I didn't have much
cutting depth.
I suspect with a 3" cut-off wheel, it would be useless.  you should
check the mounting hardware of the grinder you plan on purchasing to see
how much space is required for mounting the grinder or cut-off wheel.

Vic