Things to do when your at the side of the road after your clutch

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Things to do when your at the side of the road after your clutch
From: Mike.Hopkins@mis.magna-europa.com
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 10:42:27 +0100

Travelling in to work this morning through the English Countryside, clunk
      clunk twang, pull over to the side of road, think to my self thats
      not right. Try to pull away to the Sports car garage one mile away,
      cant pull away in 1st, 2nd or 3rd try forth, Clang Clang and give up
      when smoke and burning smell starts to emerge from engine bay.

While sitting at the side of road cliche calls for it and it starts to
      rain, any way the following thoughts pop into my mind...............

Things to do and not do when your at the side of the road after your clutch
      has gone clunk clunk
Things not to do.
Think of prognosis ( poss clutch or worse)
Think of the cost (i.e. bang goes any last minute booked holiday to Greece)
How am I going to get to work in the next week.

Things to do

Apart from the usual triangle, put hood up (raining remember) think of how
      good it is in the sun with the top down, I couldnt think of anything.

So to the questions.

(1)   Think you wonderful spit owners that it was the clutch??????????

(2)    Having never had a clutch go how much does it usually cost (chance
      to compare Uk and USA prices)

(3)   Can anyone think of positive things to do at the side of the road
      when your clutch/(insert other car malady) has gone clang,
      bang/(insert special effect sounf here)

Thanks in advance

Mike Hopkins

1980 Spit 1500 (daily runner, ill at the moment)