Re: Static Timing with Colortune

To: Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Static Timing with Colortune
From: nikolai jaremka <njaremka@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 04:48:25 -0700 (PDT)

if you want to set the timing on your car and you have
electronic ignition, you have to have a DYNAMIC timing light.
the meaning behind STATIC timing, is you are setting the timing
with the engine at a 'stand still' so to speak, that is, not
running.  and this type of timing is to make sure that your
points are opening at the right time with respect to crankshaft
position.  this also assumes that you advancing mechanisms are
all working fine.  but for electronic ignition, the only way to
set the timing is with the engine idleing, the vacuum lines to
the distributor disconnected, and by using a timing light
(stroboscope).  you can pick one up for about $40 at any local
auto parts store.

--- "Peter S." <alfapete@pacbell.net> wrote:

> ColorTune has nothing to do with static timing.  ColorTunes
> are for
> determining the mixture.
> Also I've read that electronic ignition Spits cannot be timed
> statically.
> Peter S

===
nikolai jaremka