Ignition Timing - Help

To: Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ignition Timing - Help
From: Bob Norway <examiner@scci.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 15:04:31 -0400
LIsters,
I have a problem....Background:
Bond was running ok when I took him down to put a header and new exhaust
on. After installation, still ran ok. Went away for a weekend , came
back, wouldn't start! Couldn't see anything obviously wrong and let it
sit till this weekend.
Ignition is Lucas CEI electronic.

Went out, charged battery, started right up. Decided to check the timing
as it wasn't sounding great. Timing mark was completely off the gage, in
fact was almost at bottom of pulley, almost 180 degrees from where it
should have been (10deg BTDC)!???? Checked plug wires for correct
positioning and it appeared they were NOT where they were supposed to be
per the manual (dummy me, didn't record where they were when engine was
running) I repositioned plug wire to specs, and guess what? He won't
start. Checked spark using ColorTune, that's there, and gas is getting
to cylinder.

Now for the funny(weird?) part. When checking position of #1 cylinder
vs. position of distributor, found that when #1 at TDC, rotor arm was
pointing to #2 plug. Running it another 180 degrees it would be pointing
at #3 cylinder.

Does this mean the timing chain has slipped a whole bunch, my dizzy is
shot, or what? And what was with the engine running but timing mark
about 180 degrees off? Is this weird or what? I am one very confused
person right about now..... any help much appreciated.

Cheers,

--
Bob Norway
Rockledge, Florida
Home Page http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Lobby/5953/mypage.html
ICQ# 3752712
***************************
Blackbird Association
Member #1263
***************************
Charter Member
TLCB - Thailand, Laos, Cambodia Brotherhood
http://www.tlc-brotherhood.org/
Udorn RTAFB Nov'70 - Nov'71
432 AMS/Autopilot
***************************
Member Udorn VFW Post 10249
Sawadee Home Page http://www.khonkaen.com/vfw/index.htm
***************************
Life Member Air Force Association
http://www.afa.org
Life Member Air Force Sergeant Association
http://www.afsahq.org/
SpitList
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500
FM43376UO - Daily Driver