Re: More Insurance

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: More Insurance
From: "R.D. Waid" <msp01091@isd.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 18:06:43 -0500
>Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 20:42:36 -0500
>From: "Andrew R. Lindberg" <andylindberg@earthlink.net>
>Subject: Re: More Insurance

>So does anyone have any ideas on insurance for a daily driver "collector"
>car?  Say a 1970 Triumph GT6 (summer) or a 1964 Volvo 122s (winter) for
>example?
>
>Andy Lindberg

My agent (Farmer's) was very amenable to allowing me to insure my '71 Spit in MN
(Twin Cities metropolitan area) for the appraised (recognized "official"
appraiser-- nice guy, cost me $ 50) value and allow me to drive it pretty much
as I pleased. I had to work the agent some to get him to look into the available
categories. There was a very restrictive antique car category (shows only, etc.)
but just above that was a limited use category that allowed me to drive the car
to work periodically, as long as it's not primary transportation. I don't have
collector plates for that reason. I also have a very short drive to work. I
store the car 6 mos. of the year with comprehensive only, then carry liability
and comp throught the summer. My annual premium is about $60.00, but I get a
chunk refunded every year when I drop to comp, so I pay about $125 total.
However, I do insure my regular cars with the same guy. Without those to be my
primary cars, I would have to pay full rates on the Spitfire corresponding to
the appraised value.

Bob Waid
71 Spit FK4081L