GT6-Spitfire conversion Title

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: GT6-Spitfire conversion Title
From: "Mike Ross" <mikeross@Prodigy.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 18:52:13 -0400
Just thought I'd share this information for those who were assembling there
project cars from different sources.

Since I am planning to mount my '68 Spit body tub to my  '69 GT6 frame and
install a TR6 engine, I was wondering how to legally title the car and if it
would change my exemption status for E-check in Ohio.

I called several agencies and this is what I found.  First you must make an
appointment with the division of the Ohio State Highway Patrol that oversees
fraud and stolen vehicles to inspect the assembled car so they can verify
that none of the assembled and numbered parts (engine, frame, transmission,
differential, and body) are stolen.  Then you make duplicate copies of both
titles you might have for the body source car and the chassis source.  This
is for your records only.  Take both original titles to the title office
where they will be surrendered and a new title written for the newly
assembled car (Spitfire-GT6,  GT6 convertible, or whatever you want to call
it).  Here's the kicker.  The new title says the automobile is manufactured
in this year.  So my 1968 Spitfire now becomes a 1999 Spitfire-GT6.

You can install any engine, transmission, differential, etc. without
changing the title as long as they were purchased from another vendor as a
separate part.  If they were taken from another titled car, that car's title
would also need to be surrendered with the body source car's title.   That
implies that if you bought a chassis from a salvage yard, you could retain
your original title; I would need to check this out.  Since it didn't apply
to my situation, I never asked about that scenario.

In Ohio, if your car is over 25 years old you aren't required to submit it
for E-check (emissions testing).   Now that my Spitfire-GT6 was titled as a
1999 car, I wondered how that would affect my E-check exemption.  I called
the Ohio EPA and was told that if I could provide copies of the original
titles and some proof that the year the engine was manufactured was over 25
years ago, they would provide me with a permanent exemption from E-check
testing.  They said it didn't matter what I did to the engine to modify it
(different carbs, EFI, Turbo, etc.) as long as the engine # proves  the
block was made over 25 years ago.

I have a question for anyone out there who has done a similar conversion.
Did you tell the Dept. of Motor Vehicles or is your car titled as the
original body source?

Mike