Carb Rebuild Kit

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Carb Rebuild Kit
From: "Bollinger, Bob D. (BODB)" <BODB@chevron.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 07:37:45 -0700

Does anyone have any experience installing one of those carb rebuild kits
for a stock Zenith Stromberg like they sell in Moss & the other catalogs?  I
have a '79 and am wondering about the difficulty and necessity of doing a
carb rebuild (the catalog says "it's easier than you think").  I don't have
any specific problems with the carb, but from the postings on this list the
proper functioning of the carb seems awfully important.  Maybe it's the type
of thing that after doing it I'd notice the difference, but I wouldn't know
until I did it.  I'm sure the PO never did anything to the carb so maybe
cleaning it up after 20 years is a good thing to do.

I'm expecting some responses to say bag the ZS and go to a Weber, which I'd
be willing to undertake but I've never gotten a straight answer out of
anyone on how I can still pass emissions since this is a modification of the
emissions system (I live in CA).  Is the answer here to hopefully find a
testing shop that "doesn't realize this is a modification" or do I would I
have to put the ZS back on every two years for the test?

Thanks,  Bob
'79 Spit