engine temps

To: "spit" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: engine temps
From: "James Libecco" <jfl@neoucom.edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 21:02:09 -0400
All this talk of temperature sensors provokes me to throw my problem out
right now.  My spit runs at not even to the half way mark on the gauge even
when idling in the sun.  I have changed the temp sensor, for lack of a more
diagnostic test.  If I ground out the sending wire, the gauge shoots the
whole way up to 4/4 and quickly returns, which to me suggests that the gauge
is still properly functioning.  As far as I can tell the sender is grounded
to the water pump, the pump to the head and the head to the block and so on
to the body, so I think the ground is alright.

so what gives?

jim