Re: [Herald] carb fitment questions

To: Wayne_burton@bc.sympatico.ca
Subject: Re: [Herald] carb fitment questions
From: "Donald H. Locker" <dhl@mrdog.msl.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 20:11:59 -0400
Hi, Wayne.

Finally got back.  I have the Factory Manual; it starts with Herald
1200, and has nothing at all on the 948s.

Your description of the HS2 setup sounds exactly like I remember on my
previous '69 Spit Mk III.  But this creature is different under the
bonnet.  The intake manifold and exhaust header block access to the
throttle linkage from below, so the actuating rod just won't go
there.

The manifold/header thing might be homemade, but it does have stamped
on the head flange DT1 in two places, upside down.  Those are the only
marks I see.  I was looking at it more last night, and it could be
fabricated; thick-wall tube, nice welding, and the "sand cast" surface
could be just from shot blasting, I suppose.

You're right that this 948 is interim; I'd like to get it running just
for practice, since it is closer to life than the 1296.  At least it
seems closer. :)  And you are right, it has siamesed intake ports.  I
was envisioning the MkIII intake manifold and head that are parked
right next to the spit.  (inspiration.)

Donald.
(I saved a small (very small) piece of unobtanium that I saved from my
 sailboat; have you noticed it's getting ever rarer?)