RE: removing emissions on 80 spit

To: "'gfaber'" <gfaber@fast.net>,
Subject: RE: removing emissions on 80 spit
From: "Mostrom, Paul" <Mostrom.Paul@principal.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 07:17:58 -0500
Go for it!  I have no emission controls on my '77, a Weber DGV with a header
and love it!  I have also changed the Longflow air filter that came with it,
for a K&N filter.  No dyno, so I can't guarantee that there has been an
increase in hp, but it sure starts and runs better (even when cold!).  I would
keep the parts you take off, never know when you might need them.

The intake manifold for the DGV can be a little bit of a problem to get on
since it turns down somewhat to give clearance for the carb.  The long nuts
that are underneath the stock manifold will not go under the Weber manifold.
I switched them with the shorter nuts from the top.  (Is this making any
sense?)

The other option is to contact Ted Shumacher (sp?) here on the list or at TSI
inc.  They have complete dual HS4 SU carb/manifold setups.  I prefer the Weber
because it's a two stage carb and also because of it's dependability.  (SU
lovers, please don't flame me too bad!) I am also much more familiar with it
than with the SU's.  Of course if someone can convince me that my '77 could do
better with twin SU's (and wants to send a set-up) I'd love to give them a
try.

I think there was someone on the list just recently who had a Weber DGV for
sale.  A new set is kind of pricey.

Thanks,
Paul Mostrom
'77 Spitfire 1500
'80 Ford F-100 (Triumph Support Vehicle)

'Black holes, where God divided by zero......'