Re: wiper problems

To: "Phil Johnson" <gt6_man@yahoo.co.uk>,
Subject: Re: wiper problems
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 02:06:24 +0100

>--- Sue Hunneybell <suzie_bear@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> I have a question myself about wipers that I hope
>> someone can advise me on.
>> Is it possible to a fit a twin speed motor to my '68
>> mk III.
>
>Yes, but how difficult do you want the installation to
>be? The easiest way would be to fit a GT6 Mk1 wiper
>motor, that looks outwardly identical, and would just
>be a straight swap on the same mounting plate. The
>problem being finding one as they tend to be quite
>expensive. To complete, fit the switch suggested by
>Andrew Mace, swap the knob with the old switch and put
>the extra wire from the switch to the motor.
>
>If you try to put in the later Mk4 spit motor, there
>are a number of problems to be encountered. Firstly,
>mountings - the motor is pointing inwards, and the
>output to the rack enters the bulkhead in a different
>place. Thus, the rack would also require modifying -
>difficult but possible. Also the sweep of the wipers
>changed, and/or wiper wheel boxes.

Can't comment one way or the other but in 1974 or thereabouts, I fitted a Mk
2 GT6 wiper motor to my Mk 3 Spitfire. Don't remember there being any prob
with the rack or wheelboxes but it was a long time ago. I left the original
single speed switch in the instrument panel and put the washer plunger with
combi two position switch in the driver's glovebox.
As far as wipe speed is concerned, both are pretty quick on the slow
setting - and meteoric on fast. I've never had such fast wipers on any car
since then.

Jonmac