Re: Grose Jet question

To: "Ali Mohempour" <ali@ucla.edu>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Grose Jet question
From: "Wayne Burton" <Wayne_burton@bc.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 23:05:04 -0700
Ali Wrote

>I'm trying to rebuild my first carburetor (ZS 150) on my '78 Spitfire, and
>wanna know what is this Grose Jet thing?  And if I install that (how?) do I
>still need the needle?

The grose jet replaces the float needle valve and needs to be adjusted to
18mm float height with the carb inverted. If you can't bend the tag enough
you will have to put a shim washer under the grosse jet body.

>Another thing:  The needle is covered by this yellow varnish, and I can't
>get it off with the carb cleaner spray, what should I do?

Are you sure it is varnish and not the tarnished brass finish? I use varsol
to remove varnish, and mothers aluminum polish to shine the needle up. Don't
take too much off though, the fuel doesnt care how shiney the needle is. As
long as it is relatively smooth and not marked - its fine.

>p.s.  The more I think about it, the more I realize what kind of mess I got
>myself into by buying this little car last month.

The first 30 minute trip you take in the car trouble free will make up for
all of the misery endured to get it there.
Especially if you can take this trip early in the am, or at sunset on a
warm, clear evening with the top down, on a winding country road. Bliss!
Help - I'm suffering from spitfire withdrawal - I decided to repaint the
bonnet and I cant drive my car without it!

Wayne Burton
1963 Triumph Spitfire4
1966 Triumph 2000
1954 Austin A40 Somerset