Re: Haynes manual differences

To: Ali Mohempour <ali@ucla.edu>
Subject: Re: Haynes manual differences
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 1999 18:23:22 -0700
Ali,
The drain plug in the block has always been on the side of the Intake
and exhaust ports.  Referring to passenger and driver side is confusing
because it differs between the British market (RHD) and the rest of the
world (LHD).  This may be account for the difference in the two Haynes
manuals.

I don't know what you sprayed water into, but it can't be good if it is
by the fuel pump.  Check the oil level and see if it went into the
sump.  If so, drain it immediately and after changing it, monitor the
condition of the oil to ensure it was all purged.  After driving the car
a while, it the oil appears milky in color with a thick texture, you
still have water in the oil.

Good Luck,
Joe

Ali Mohempour wrote:

> The guy that sold me my '78 Spitfire last month, let me borrow hisa Haynes
> manual published in '83.  I went and bought my own published in '88.  Last
> weekend, I tried to flush the cooling system (with radiator at shop), so I
> tried to locate the engine drain plug, using the old Haynes manual.
>
> Based on the photo, the plug seems to be on the driver side of the block
> right behind the fuel pump.  I opened the plug and stuck a wire in there and
> the wire had some oil and smelled like gas.  I went ahead and blasted away
> with the water hose...water went in and drained out.
>
> BUT, when I used the water through the upper radiator inlet (the thermostat)
> no water came out of the drain plug (engine off).
> Later that day I looked at the newer Haynes manual and lo and behold the
> pictures are different.  The new manual shows a bolt on the passenger side,
> right nect to the exhaust manifold. What's going on?
>
> So:
> 1.  Why the difference or are they both drain plugs?
>
> 2.  Will the water come out, only when the engine is running?
>
> Thanks everyone.
>
> Ali
>
> p.s.  I'm so glad you guys (and girls) are out there to help me out:)

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer