Re: Rebuilding ZS carb

To: "Ali Mohempour" <ali@ucla.edu>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rebuilding ZS carb
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 11:32:09 -0400
At 04:59 PM 08/06/1999 -0700, Ali Mohempour wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>Having bought a '78 Spit 1500 last month, [...] I have some new questions:
>
>1.  When I cleaned the gas tank, I shook it left and right and inverted it
>too.  I could hear the floater hit the tank when I turned it upside down,
>but when I put gas, it did float.  Would flipping the tank, damage the
>floater by any chance?

There is always that chance of damage, but IMO it's unlikely. Have you
removed the sending unit?  If any gas is inside the float you can buy a new
one for $7 - 8 US. Entire sending units are available for around $50 -60.

>2.  I have removed the carb and have ordered a rebuild kit from Moss.  What
>are the chances that I have to change the needle?

Slim to none.

>Do you have to change the
>needle for a rebuild job?

No, but as I learned when I tried to rebuild mine, your first task before
starting should be to remove the air piston/needle and inspect the jet
hole.  If it is egg-shaped from the needle rubbing on the side of the hole,
the carb is toast. Only the older carbs had jets that were replaceable.

>Is the Hanes manual sufficient for the task?

I can't say.   But I DO recommend buying the Haynes Weber Carburetor Manual
(which includes ZS and SUs) it has loads of great pictures and explanations
and setup advice.

On my carb, I also had to replace the floats (again, plastic, had gas
inside them) the float pivot pin, and the needle o-ring. These were not
part of the carb rebuild kit.

Regards,

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire

"Wherever you go, you will always find some people who naturally recognize
that some cars are not just cars."