Re: cooling problem

To: Chris Pappathopoulos <ctpappathopo@students.wisc.edu>
Subject: Re: cooling problem
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 16:18:24 -0400 ()
On Fri, 6 Aug 1999, Chris Pappathopoulos wrote:

> I to have been struggling with a cooling problem. My 1500 runs from .5
> to .75 on the gauge. I noticed that when I pulled the coolant drain plug
> on the left side of the block it didn't look wet at all, so I ran the
> engine with it removed to see if any antifreeze came out. None did. I
> rebuilt my engine this winter and I don't think I got much if any fluid
> out of this plug then, but my engine accidentally got upside down in
> partial disassembly and fluid leaked out then. My question is should
> this plug be wet? If so what should I try to do to get coolant flowing
> through the block, some sort of derusting liquid like the acid that has
> been talked about?

1. RUN (do not walk) to your nearest clothes closet.
2. Grab a wire hanger.
3. Bend the hook straight.
4. Remove the block drain plug (left, right: doesn't matter. It's on the
manifold side)
5. Insert straightened hook into drain hole and "ream"/"probe" around
until soothing green/brown liquids envelop your hand, etc.
6. Flush system with water.
7. Reinsert plug, refill with water, add favorite chemical flush and
follow directions.
9. repeat as many of steps 1-6 above as necessary.
9. Fill with preferred water/anti-freeze/Water Wetter/whatever mixture.
10. Watch gauge drop significantly in future.

--Andy

p.s. Your neighbor's expensive car antenna, broken off the base and
carefully bent, can make a nice replacement for that coat hanger in your
closet.