Re: mallory part number

To: "spitfires@autox.team.net" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: mallory part number
From: nikolai jaremka <njaremka@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 10:58:44 -0700 (PDT)

well, thanks to all who gave me speedy responses to my
inquirey(sp?).

here's what's going on:
last night, my engine started making some noise and i think i
tracked it down to the distributor, but i want to do some more
tests to confirm it before i replace it.
if i have to replace it, i think i want to go with a mallory
dual point setup.  if i did that, there is a local wholesale
shop that sells performance products, including mallory.  so i
looked up on the internet, and downloaded the mallory parts
catalog.  well, it lists applications for early 4cyl. TR's
(2-4a), but not the spitfire.  vicy-brit sells mallory, why
aren't the listed in the catalog?  that's when i called upon the
list for help.  turns out that the distributors listed in the
mallory catalog for the TR's will fit the spitfire.  and here is
the result:

the mallory part numbers are: 2332001 (mech. advance)
                              2732001 (vacuum advance)
    (electronic ignition-->)  4532001 (mech. advance)
    (electronic ignition-->)  4732001 (vacuum advance)

the last 2 part numbers are electronic ignition distributors.
they are quite pricy, but they are probably built better and
last longer than conversion kits.

oh, by the way, i can get the mallory distributor from the local
shop for $149.95 +tax (and probably shipping) as opposed to
spending the $200+ to get it from moss or vicy-brit.

> nikolai jaremka wrote:
> >
> > can anyone tell me the MALLORY part number for the dual
> point
> > distributor?  i think i might be able to order it from a
> local
> > speed shop, but i want to know the part number to get a
> price.
> > (i don't want the Vic-Brit number, that won't help me.  i
> need
> > the official Mallory part number.)
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > ===