Re: Spit Fiberglass Body Panels

To: "Terry L. Thompson" <tlt@digex.net>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spit Fiberglass Body Panels
From: "James Carpenter" <james.carpenter@jccsystems.swinternet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 22:38:25 +0100
You could always make your own from glass fibre and resin.  Make a mold
cast, make the bonnet, and sell on the cast.

See if you can find some honycomb, that can be cut, soaked in resin and put
under the bonnet to strengthen.

When you do this, you will need to chop a bit off the springs, else they'll
sit to high.

Personaly, having seen all these accident programs resantly, I'll be
sticking with the metal bonnet.  I recon the Spitfire will do quite well in
the new EU tests, because of all that crumple zone up front.

Best thing you can do though is to loose weight from the rotating mass of
the car.  As a rule of thumb, 1 lb saved in the rotating engin parts is
equivilent to 15lb from the body, or 3lb from the wheels, and propshaft.

So buy some light alloy's, switch to 155SR13 if you have any bigger tyers.
(Bit contraversial, but if you think about it, you get better wet handleing,
more acceleration, and less weight so less tyer bump etc than 165 -175 etc.)
When you have your engin done, get it lightened and balanced.

James