Gearbox update

To: "'Spitfire List'" <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gearbox update
From: Dean Dashwood <DDashwood@softwright.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 11:43:10 +0100
I said I'd update the list re. my gearbox, so here goes:

To recap: when my gearbox blew up last week, I decided to get a
reconditioned unit from John Kipping, and getting a local (non-LBC)
garage to fit it.  I also asked them to check the clutch while the
gearbox is off.

The garage checked the clutch as I asked, it was worn almost right down
- certainly worth changing.  They ordered a clutch from their local
supplier, fitted that and the recon gearbox, and road-tested - the
clutch was not releasing properly.  After a while, they discovered that
the cover plate on the new clutch was a lot thicker than the one that
came off the car.  They assumed they'd been supplied the wrong part, so
they went back to their supplier - no, that's definitely the right one.
So they tried another supplier - who delivered the same, too-thick
cover.

Eventually, they decided to use the old cover - it was only the friction
plate and release bearing that really needed replacing.  So the question
is - did both of the garages supplier send them the same wrong part
(unlikely) or does my car have a different cover to standard (why would
anyone do this)?

Ok, so clutch problems sorted out (albeit with some questions
unanswered) I got the car back - with the reverse light and overdrive
not working.  I took the tunnel off and found that all the wiring had
been connected wrongly.  Took me a minute or two with a multi-meter to
figure out what goes where, but eventually got it all straightened out.

Now, the reverse light works fine, and overdrive works fine in 3rd gear
- but doesn't work at all in 4th.  I got out the multi-meter to figure
out what's going on, and here's what I found.  Gearstick in 3rd gear -
12v across the overdrive switch.  Gearstick in neutral, but pushed over
towards 3rd/4th gear - 12v.  Push the gearstick into 4th, and you get
12v as the syncro-mesh engages, but 0v as it actually goes into gear.

So, is this a problem with the way the gearbox was fitted, a faulty
gearbox, a faulty inhibitor switch, or something else I haven't thought
of?

I regret letting the garage do this now - the extra time/cost involved
negated all the reasons I decided not to do it myself.  Next time, I
don't think I'll bother!

Anyway, the gearbox itself seems fine - the gearchanges are a tiny bit
stiff, but not a hint of groaning on any gearchange.  But this is what
you'd expect immediately after fitting it - it's how it holds up over
time that counts!  I'll update the list again after I've done a bit of
mileage.  In the meantime, if anyone has any answers to the questions,
I'd appreciate it!

Dean Dashwood
'77 Spit 1500