Re: Is it hard to change the rear hub outer oil seal?

To: dougbert@rcn.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Is it hard to change the rear hub outer oil seal?
From: PVanDuyne@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 06:26:09 EDT
In a message dated 5/18/99 8:29:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time, dougbert@rcn.com
writes:

<< I went to check my rear brakes this evening, and I noticed
 that one side definitely needed a rebuild.  Besides leaking brake fluid,
 there was a fair amount of grease on everything, which had obviously
 leaked past the outer hub oil seal.

 It looks like it should be possible to replace this seal by pulling
 the hub, removing the grease shield, brake backing plate and seal cover,
 and pressing the new seal into the seal cover.  Is it
 really as simple as I make it sound?  Will a reasonably beefy
 four-jaw gear puller be sufficient for getting the hub off?
 I have heard that messing with the rear hubs can be a risky business.
 Will I be avoiding the bad stuff if I only want to replace the seal?

 Thanks,

 Doug Braun
 '72 Spit

 Doug & List,

        I have the same problem with grease leaking into the right rear brake
drum ( counter to my attempts to brake). I also have been contemplating only
replacing the outer seal. This of course will mean that the hub must come
off. I have attempted to fabricate my own "churchill" tool using a 2" pipe
floor flange ( fits wheel bolt hole pattern but holes needed to be drilled
out to 9/16"(?) ), pipe nipple, pipe cap, and a welded nut in the center of
the cap to fit my gear puller thread. I have purchased the complete
replacement bearing assembly but am reluctant to start this project, now that
the good weather has arrived, only to have the car on jack stands for several
weeks while I find machine shops to press out/in bearing, etc., etc.. I would
rather wait to the end of our short New England driving season to do the
complete repair but the brakes need to work! My question is has anyone
removed the hub while the axle is still in place and successfully replaced
that outer seal? My manuals describe pulling the axle off to the bench before
removing the hub and describe several other special tools for pressing the
axle out of the trunion bearing housing, pressing bearings out of the trunion
and so on. I also want to replace at the same time as replacing that seal the
drums wheel cylinder as the DCO broke the bleeder nipple, any problem
replacing only one side?

Pete
1980 Spit