Draining/restoring Spitfire Tank

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Draining/restoring Spitfire Tank
From: "Bruce Hestand" <hestand@ultranet.com>
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 01:09:30 -0400
Hi all,

This seems incredibly stupid, but I'm having questions about draining a gas
tank...

I'm beginning restoration on an '80 Spit that's been sitting with a half
tank of gas for 15 years so it
seems like a good idea to drain the tank and flush it out.

The Bentley manual says "siphon tank".  When I pulled the filler off the
tank to put a
siphon hose in I hit a stop point higher than the apparent bottom of the
tank.  I siphoned off
what I could get.  Looking inside the filler neck I see an inverted cone
with a pool
the diameter of a dime at the bottom.  The sides of the cone are lined with
rust.

Q1) What's with the inverted cone?  Is this natural or one spooky rust out?
Q2) Is there a need, and a method, to get more gas out before attempting
tank removal?
     I only took out a gallon or so, and the gauge has always read empty but
does it work?
    I could try something like tapping a line to the output side of the
mechanical fuel pump
    and cranking the engine (pull coil wire first) to push fuel out but this
seems sub-optimal.
Q3)  I've seens solutions for DIY gas tank cleaning/restoring.  Is this a
reasonable DIY or
   better off to pay to have it done?  The chemicals don't seem to run
around $70, what's
   the cost to have it done (and not have to deal with the chemical
mess/disposal yourself).
   The tank doesn't appear as if it will need any welding/brazing.

Input would be very much appreciated.

Bruce Hestand
'80 Spitfire - Chelmsford, Ma.