Re: Rimmer Bros parts Delivery - Duties paid - longish

To: "Kirby T. Kenyon" <kenyonkt@maple.lemoyne.edu>,
Subject: Re: Rimmer Bros parts Delivery - Duties paid - longish
From: "Dave Terrick" <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 08:52:02 -0600
Kirby and list:

Welcome to the wonderful world of being "Canadian".

I am somewhat surprised at the responses to the list on duties and taxes
payable - wake up guys!

The USA has the strongest auto lobby in the world and do you think they will
let "furrin" parts in without a duty to be paid to the benefit of protecting
the union bretheren (and their jobs, and their congressman)?  Seriously,
understand that EVERY part we bring in from the US to canada incurs duty.
Think about that.  Everything down to a tune up kit costs us when we order
from the big 3.  Add that to our mighty shrinking dollar and you can take a
big 3 price AND ADD 75% AS A CONSERVATIVE NUMBER!.

End whine?

No.  Canada is great because we are a member of the "comonwealth" - aka
leftovers from the british empire.  This means  we get favored nation
treatement from the UK (and recently the gov't figured the same applies to
the US imports) so duties are reduced to 6.7% (includes complete cars as I
find out with my new GT6 purchase from Minnesota).

AND,  if your car is an a"antique" aka 25+ years young,  duties are waived.
BUT, to get this exemption, it must be clearly identified on the box and
shipping instructions.  Otherwise the ups monkeys just go right on assuming
it is for your new Land Rover and whack you in duty.  (actually, this is my
biggest beef with UPS - they are not setup to deal with "us"  and assume we
all have the necessary funds to pay  their $45 customs clearing charge -
absolute BS as it applies to ANYTHING of ANY SIZE.  Imagine airfreighting a
$19 drive rsistor (prevents unintended engaugement of a forward gear, I
think) drive (and no used ones are available in your locale) only to pay 75%
in shipping/tax/exchange currency.  That's $39.40.  THEN add $45 for the
"delivery" for a total markup over catalogue of 444 percent!!!!!!!!!!

I bet nobody will touch their caffiene this morning after this.

And no, this is not a halloween prank - I wish it was.

Remember,  if YOU instruct the shipper to put ship to: "Antique auto parts
greater than 25 years" on the instructions you may save your duties.  Check
your local customs office for accurate details.   And remember this story
when you whine about the cost of parts imported to the US and  "think of
England"

Dave T
Winnipeg