Timing is everything

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Timing is everything
From: Andrew Lindeman <drfaustus@london.crosswinds.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 20:30:48 -0500 (EST)
One of the reason I removed my front engine cover was to fix a slipped timing
chain.  I have already installed a new chain. but have some questions on how
to get the timing lined up again.  The shop manual I have shows that you should
line up the marks on both sprockets, however I cannot find a market on the
crankshaft sprocket.  The WAG I took for setting it up was the following, please
advise if I'm correct.

I brought the crankshaft to top dead center, on piston number 1.  Then I used a
straight edge to line up the mark on the camshaft sproket and the centers of
both the crankshaft and camshaft.

Obviously timing is crucial to engine performance, so I'd like to have it right.
If anybody has any suggestions on any other methods to check and adjust this,
I'd like to hear them.

Andy L.
1970 Spitfire