Engine conversion

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Engine conversion
From: Chris <spitfire@cyber-west.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 11:03:54 -0600
Just a quick note on the Buick 3.8 V6 in a Spitfire.  I have this
particular variation in my garage.  I got it this way and plan to get it
back in shape ( sitting out for 2 yrs ).  The motor is a very tight fit
and the biggest issue on this one is the height.  It has a GM HEI
distributor that sits very high.  This car had the UGLIEST hood scoop I
have ever seen on it to cover both it and the radiator.  The carb
actually still stuck out of the hood and I can only guess the PO had a
chrome air cleaner showing.

So now I am working on different ideas of how to cover this motor in a
tasteful fasion.  A GT6 hood would not fit.  This creation also has a
automatic , that I hope to exchange for a BorgWarner T5.  I ultimately
plan to race this monster once it is rebuilt, it promises to be verry
fast on the autocross course !

So I would recommend a smaller V6 myself if starting from scratch, the
ford 2.8 60 degree V6 suchs as Barry Schwartz has in his car is a good
choice and from the research I did before stumbling on my car it should
sit much lower.

By the way I also have a stock '78 as well and the sound of the high
revving 4 cylinder is still my favorite.  If you add a good card,
headers, free up the exhaust, you can get a car that is quite
respectable and quick to drive.  For true speed, just ask MJB about
Killer, that car is quick ! and pretty close to stock on the engine !

So my advice is only modify and rebuild basket cases into hybrids and
leave the nice stock examples alone to enjoy !

Chris in Utah