Re: died on the side of the road

To: charles white <cwhite@azstarnet.com>
Subject: Re: died on the side of the road
From: Doug Mitchell <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 10:16:27 -0400
charles white wrote:
>=20
> Well it finally happened, dead on the side of the road.
> I came off the freeway, started missing and then DEAD.
> Towed it home tonight. I need some help for ideas what
> else to try. Right now it will not fire at all even with
> starting fluid.  So far we have changed:  the points,
> the rotor, the cap, the condenser, the coil(ever tried
> Lucas sport coil). We have checked the gas (=BD full,
> visually check the tank), pulled the fuel line and
> gas is getting to the carb (electric pump, but checked
> it anyway), and the plugs. After everything, we played
> with the timing from 8 deg static to all over- still no
> firing or backfire or anything. It was running great
> till this, no warning signs. It's a 72 spitfire with
> webber down draft carb, platinum plugs, headers, stock
> distributor. Any ideas would be great as this my daily
> driver. This one has me stumped. Thanks in advance TIA!!
>=20
> Charlie white
> cwhite@azstarnet.com
> To many spits to list
> Not enough room for more ;->

Well, Charlie,

It sounds as if you have made a good start. Three things
are needed for the engine to run: spark, fuel, compression.
You have fuel delivery, you have checked timing, but have
you actually checked for a spark at the plugs? That would
leave you with compression. Check that out. It is unlikely
for you to loose all compression, but if your valves are
set too tight, you could have everything leaking past an
open valve.

Hope some of this helps.

--=20
Doug Mitchell