Re: died on the side of the road

To: charles white <cwhite@azstarnet.com>, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: died on the side of the road
From: nikolai jaremka <njaremka@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:15:52 -0700 (PDT)
did you change the points and rotor before or after the incident?  i
had a similar problem last year after i replaced my points, rotor, cap
and plugs.  turned out to be the rotor was too loose on the ditributor
shaft and hard acceleration caused it to bounce and spin so that the
timing was now WAY off.  it was hard to find too because upon removal
of the cap, all 'looked' fine.

---charles white <cwhite@azstarnet.com> wrote:

> Well it finally happened, dead on the side of the road .  I came off
the
> freeway, started missing and then DEAD.  Towed it home tonight.   I
need
> some help for ideas what else to try.  Right now it will not fire at
all
> even with starting fluid.  So far we have changed:  the points, the
rotor,
> the cap, the condenser, the coil(ever tried lucas sport coil)..  We
have
> checked the gas (˝ full, visually check the tank), pulled the fuel
line and
> gas is getting to the carb (electric pump, but checked it anyway),
and the
> plugs.   After everything, we played with the timing from 8 deg
static to
> all over— still no firing or backfire or anything.  It was running
great
> till this, no warning signs. It's a 72 spitfire with webber down
draft carb,
> platinum plugs, headers , stock distributor.  Any ideas would be
great as
> this my daily driver.  This one has me stumped.  Thanks in advance
TIA!!