Re: Door Handle replacement

To: john donohoe <gt6driver@yahoo.com>, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Door Handle replacement
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 08:49:52 -0700
>How in heaven's name do you replace the inside door handles or window
>cranks on a '70 GT6+?
  < snip >
>Is there a tool or trick to getting that bitty pin through the handle
>with the spring and escutcheon in place??
  < snip >
***************************************
I found that if you use a bit of tape, and a rod or something (cardboard?)
at least as thin or slightly thinner than the pin, you can use the tape to
just hold the pin on the end of this tool.  The idea is to use just enough
to grab the end to hold it in place.  Then, while pushing the escutcheon
against the spring and aligning the hole in the handle with the hole in the
shaft, you can carefully insert the pin about halfway ( or slightly more)
into the hole, let the escutcheon go allowing it to clamp the pin (and
possibly pushing on the handle to provide a little more friction).  Then
you can pull the tape secured onto the tool better than onto the pin, off
the pin.  Rotate the assy horizontal to prevent it from falling out, and
push the pin in with the same slim rod or other such device until it pops
into place and is covered up.  I have used this technique several times,
even out in a field at an event when someone wanted to replace a door panel
on his Spitfire.  Hasn't failed me yet, although it makes you wonder how it
was done at the factory-