Re: Door Handle replacement

To: john donohoe <gt6driver@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Door Handle replacement
From: Doug Mitchell <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 11:18:10 -0400
john donohoe wrote:

> How in heaven's name do you replace the inside door handles or window
> cranks on a '70 GT6+?
>
> I've got the old bits off, (didn't have any springs or escutcheons)
> and am now going about installing the complete kit I got from TRF.
>
> Is there a tool or trick to getting that bitty pin through the handle
> with the spring and escutcheon in place??
>
> Does the escutcheon hold that little pin in place? It seems rather
> loose--I'd hate for it to fall out with the effort I've put in
> attempting to install it!
>
> Help! My wife and kids would like to be able to let themselves out,
> instead of me opening the door for them from outside!
>
> TIA,
> John Donohoe
> '70 GT6+
> '70 GT6+ (future Sixfire)

Well, as a gentleman, you should open the door for a lady! And
look at it as a safety precaution, your kids cannot accidentally
open the door and fall out!

On my '73 Spit, I use a pair of hemostats to hold the pin while
I push the rest of the stuff back. Yes, the escutchon will hold
the pin in place.

Cheers,

--
Doug Mitchell