tonneau fasteners and steering columns

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: tonneau fasteners and steering columns
From: "Ryan Smith" <shmitty99@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 17:54:17 PDT
Hello listers, two quick questions tonight to help complete my tonneau
project.

1) could someone explain in detail how to "telescope" the steering
column.  I looked around for the u-bolts describe earlier but I'd like a
little more info before I start taking things apart.

2) the tonneau fasteners in the rear of the car - it seems like I have a
couple of replacement fasteners.  They look a little different and
they're coming out.  They seem to have coarse thread wood screws
attached.  Where the rest are a fine thread machine type screw.  The
"wood" type ones have stripped out their holes.  I don't think an
original style one will go back in the hole now.  So I need a way to
make the other kind stick in there.  Any ideas?

I plan on getting the car back on the road by the end of next week after
its rear-end transplant, m/c rebuild, and battery box replacement.  So
I'll need a working tonneau so I can drive it to work (100 mi round
trip).

thanks

Ryan Smith
Mechanical Engineering, Virginia Tech