Timing is the key...

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Timing is the key...
From: Andrew Lindeman <drfaustus@london.crosswinds.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 21:22:53 -0400 (EDT)
My Spitfire has taken her revenge for spending so lond onmy freinds clutch job.

I found out why she wasn't running, sludge in the carb, and fixed it.  Then I
attempt to set the timimg, and couldn't get it to settle down.  I made an
appointment with the local LBC mechanic to sort the rest of it out (I had a club
event the next day and didn't have time to fool with it.).  He easily found and
corrected the problem, but it still wouldn't run right.  That's when we noticed
my car was leaking oil, in a stream.  Upon further investigation we found that
the timing chain tensioner had broken, and shot straight through the timing
chain cover!  The chain had then skipped a cog, causing it to run poorly.
This must have happen either when starting it to take to the mechanic, or on the
way.  Luckily, he isn't far.  And I of course towed it home.  Just had to relay
my story, and pain to those who can understand what it's like.

Andy L.