Re: Steering Wheel Pulling

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net, BODB@chevron.com
Subject: Re: Steering Wheel Pulling
From: Pat.Catchpole@netc.co.uk (Pat Catchpole)
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 16:22:24 +0100
     Bob

     I have removed steering wheels from many cars before and have never
     needed a puller.  (The manual is talking about a 2 or 3 legged tool
     with a threaded centre bolt - you put the legs behind the hub /
     sprocket / flange {whatever it is you are pulling off the shaft} and
     tighten the bolt down.  This action will pull the flange towards it.)

     With a steering wheel though just slacken the centre bolt that holds
     it on by a few turns, and then when sitting in the driving seat grip
     the wheel with hands on either side and gently rock the wheel while
     applying a force towards you.  It will soon pop off.

     However, before you resort to this I think that the late Spits had a
     different type of fixing - just regular self tapping screws on to a
     boss.  This will be obvious to you as soon as the centre
     plastic/rubbery cover has been removed.

     Pat