Re: Rear Brakes not working properly on 75 Spit

To: Chris DeStaffany <sjmeds@rockisland.com>
Subject: Re: Rear Brakes not working properly on 75 Spit
From: "Victor B. Michael" <vmichael@enteract.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 1998 07:46:01 -0500
Chris,

You might check the wheel cylinder assembly to make sure it is not bound
up too far fore or aft. The wheel cylinder should have a little play. I
found when I rebuilt my brakes, the clips holding the wheel cylinder on
could actually prevent this. Haynes also says to grease this slot up,
too. Also check the hand brake linkage at the wheel cylinder to be sure
it isn't too tight. Check the placement of the shoes and the adjustment
mechanism at the bottom of the shoe assembly - one side could be out,
pushing a shoe toward the drum.

Just a few ideas...and as James points out, it may be easier (if not
more comforting) to simply rebuild the whole system.

Vic

--
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 <*> http://www.enteract.com/~vmichael/

 "There will come a time when you think everything is finished.
                   That will be the beginning."

                         (Louis L'Amour)