Re: Owning a British Convertible <story>

To: "Chip Mautz" <clmautz@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Owning a British Convertible <story>
From: "Dave Terrick" <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 15:31:09 -0500
Chip you lucky Bastard!!!

Your real problem is that you haven;t got another one to work on.  Get one
Quick.  Here's my story.....

Been into TR's since Grade 1 when the teacher drove a French Blue TR6, brand
new after trading in the maroon spitifre.  Father and son project TR4a
acquired when I was 15.  Didn't run until I was 19.  Started slalom racing
it while restoring one panel at a time.  Drove from April 1 to Halloween
rain or shine.  Bought a TR6 in '89 and retired the 4 to a full time resto.

Never did get to the TR4 and then bought a 69 GT6, ex vintage racer, to
restore as a vintage racer.

Three months later the TR6 was written off.  Fall 1995, first fall in 7
years I had no convertible for the fall colors tour.

Spent 18 months restoring the GT6 for dual use.  No Triumphs at all on the
road during that time.  1996 sucked.

May 1997 the GT was on the road.  Nothing but trouble with the race spec
drivetrain and substituted with one from a 70 parts car that was finally for
sale - only one in town.  Fall 1997 was short as the plates expired Oct 2
and I missed a long season.

Thie MArch the plates went on  and I got 5,000 miles on the car.  Couldn;t
drive it to Hudson because I went via Toronto - a 5000 km round trip.
Returned and raced in the donald Healey 100th memorial invitational.  A
Healey spun in an 85 mph corner and collected me.

Only the tub is still good on the GT6.  Another year and another $5000 or so
in repairs.

I haven;t had a convertible since 1995 and am seriously considering a spit 6
for all the work I need to do now.

If you don't get the next spitfire III to keep you busy I just might.

Enjoy your car with best wishes from someone who envies you!

Dave