Re: Rear Axle Length -Again

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: Rear Axle Length -Again
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 15:55:38 -0700
Andy,
Right again.  As the MkIV was continued in European production
significantly past whe point of US 1500 production; the MkIV having been
produced up through Nov. '74.

I guess it was because the 1300 over in Europe was powerful enough to
give the Spit quite a lot of pep, while being crippled to meet polution
requirements meant that The US cars had to be upgraded with higher
displacement to produce enough HP to keep the Spit from being a "dog".

Joe

Andrew Mace wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, Joe Curry wrote:
>
> > Vic,
> > I agree with both Andy and Barry and might add that the larger flanges
> > were also used on the driveshaft U-joint that mates with the
> > differential.  It was the differential change that mandated the larger
> > flanges, not the axle change which happened (according to my sources) at
> > serial number 50,000.
>
> Or "FM 1" on cars destined for the U.S. market. Either way, roughly the
> 1973 MODEL year.
>
> --Andy

> * Andrew Mace, President and                *
> *   10/Herald/Vitesse (Sports 6) Consultant *
> * Vintage Triumph Register                  *
> * amace@unix2.nysed.gov                     *

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer