Re: Running real rough

To: GatesDavid@aol.com
Subject: Re: Running real rough
From: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 09:10:33 +0000
Swarf is the bit's of metal you get when you mill somthing, or turn it.
I mean the littel bit's of metal the come out of your engin when it
chews up it's internals.

First thing you will need to do is a de-coke...

Get the BL Workshop manual for a Spitfire 1500.  It's worth the
investment, because it gives you all the data you need, and is much
better than the Hayns.  The Hayns is OK for people who run old bangers,
but not for REAL maintainance.

As for replaceing the valves.  Have a look at them, take a micromiter to
the shaft, and look at the ware on the shaft compaired to the spec.
Then have a look at the surface.  Can you grind it to be pit free?  You
may need to get the head re-cut, but you could probebly get away with
gringing your valves.

Only skim the head if it needs it.  You might awell get somthing better
done with the mony unless it's not flat.

There are no valve guide seals, if nessecery have new valve guides
pressed in, but if you get new valves have a look at the fit of the
shaft with your guides.  If it's loose, get some more guides and press
them in.

Your lucky haveing the unde-powered 1500 engins.  In the UK we have to
put up with double valve springs.  Replaceing 16 the springs more
expensive than 8.
--
James Carpenter
Yellow '79 spit wired by a trained marmot