Re: Running real rough

To: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Running real rough
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 15:39:07 -0400
James wrote:

> If your exhaust valve was not opening this is what would happen.
> Compression... Fire ... no exhaust, compression.... Valve opens exhaust
> goes out intake
> Engin sucks in more petrol with the old exhaust.  And so on...

  I would add there is another step in here.

  The first compression cycle compresses a certain amount of
gas and gets to a pretty high pressure. As the gas is burning
the gas volume rises as the piston falls.

  However, during the so-called-exhaust cycle the gas volume is
already much larger but because the exhaust valve isn't
opening, it has to survive the entire compression cycle at
full gas volume.

  This would create an EXTREMELY high cylinder pressure
which would likely blow by even a good set of rings. This
would in turn pressurize the crankcase causing the oil
blasting you saw.

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/