Re: GT6 Electrical Woes

To: dee_jackson@gilbarco.com, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: GT6 Electrical Woes
From: DANMAS <DANMAS@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 15:13:26 EDT
In a message dated 4/22/98 10:49:51 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
dee_jackson@gilbarco.com writes:

> I also have a black/purple wire with the conductor exposed hanging under
>  the dash. Any idea where its supposed to go?

Dee,

Usually, this wire is for the horns.  On all LBCs that I am familiar with,
that is the case.  When the horn button is pressed, this wire is grounded.

>  Lastly, the fuel gauge light has had the smoke let out of the ground
>  (black) wire.  All the insulation is toast and it has been taped up.
>  I've followed it up to the main harness, but haven't gone any farther.
>  The main harness has several black wires terminated together sticking
>  out of it a few inches back from where this wire enters the harness.  I
>  have a hunch this is a common point for all the gauge light grounds and
>  that the toasted wire ends there.  My hope is that I can unwrap the
>  harness and replace that section of wire.

Most always, the black wires are ground, and they are quite often bundled
together as you found on your car.  There is no need to go all the way back to
this point to fix the fuel gauge light ground (you may need to fix it for
other reasons, though).  Just run a ground from the meter to a nearby chassis
ground.  I would first find out why the wire was burned.  If you have a short
in the meter or the socket, you will just burn the new wire.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74