Re: GT6 Electrical Woes

To: Dee Jackson <dee_jackson@gilbarco.com>
Subject: Re: GT6 Electrical Woes
From: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 15:23:44 +0000
I have done this on my Spitfire,  you will need, lots of paper, A3 - A2

I am assuming it will be verymuch like a spifire one.

          Front Lights Horn

     IGN    |- Oil / Alt / Temp
      |     |
 Fuse |     |- Reversing light /Overdrive               Washer/Wiper
  |   |     |                                            |
 |               |   |    |   |   |      |
 =              [          Dash             ]
 =Conector to Rear

 |---- Seats

 |-- Fule tank / light

           |    |     |     |       ||     |     |
        [                    Rear Lights          ]

Draw this out in full on a peace of paper, and label up where all the
instruments go, and then draw a diagram of you loom and where all the
conections go to the instruments.   This saves a LOT of time mucking
about later.

Next take out the harness, this is best, and mark on you diagram where
all the brances go, and what the colour the wires are.  You can now,
with a bit of thaught work out what connects ware, like join the dots.
Take only unwrap a bit at a time, and replace all "nuked" wire.  Replace
any dodgy connecters, do one section at a time, with the wire going
round the outside untill you unwrap an re-wrap the others, the less time
spent with the wire un-wrapped the better.

You will need lots of tape, I used self emagomating tape, I think thats
wright.  The stuff I had came un-stuck like normal tape, unless you
streched it, when there was nothing that could budge it.

Try an keep all the bends in the harness.

Wrapping takes about 1 hour per 1.5 Meter, untill you get realy good.

Oh You need LOADS of wire.

Look at the VTR sight.

You will also need to consolt your circuet diagram and the offical one
to check there the same.  If not try and work out why not, before you do
anyting.  You should notice a differnce in the wires if bits have been
modified.  Electrical insulating tape is bad news, someone has had it
apart before.

You might want to get some realy high current wire put between the
altinator an battery if you are thinking about uprating the altinator.
Oh I put in a seperat supply 27 Amp to the front so that I could put in
higher wattage bulbs it's on permently, and I'll just use realys to
connect to the light circutes.
--
James Carpenter
Yellow '79 spit wired by a trained marmot