Re: Geting the Bugs out

To: "Brad Kahler" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
Subject: Re: Geting the Bugs out
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@scooter.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 21:01:42 -0400
At 02:52 PM 4/18/98 -0600, Brad Kahler wrote:
>As some of you are aware I've finally put my 64 Spitfire on the road.
>Now the 2nd part of the restoration is taking place, that of getting
>the bugs out of everything that I FIXED!!!
 <snip>
>There are still some rattles and shakes that I need to work out but
>all in all its been a very enjoyable experience.

Brad,

I'm going thru the same "shakedown" period on my '79 Spit.

Biggest pain has been the fuel system.   First the single ZS carb and fuel
pump leaked a LOT;   Fuel  guage sender was 'way inaccurate (ran out of gas
with my WIFE in the car, oops!) and I still haven't gotten the idle
mixture/speed to stay consistant. (I think I was overfilling the dashpot
and the oil was seeping into the intake, either changing the idle mixture
or preventing the piston from going down quite all the way.   Still working
on that...)  I've broken body snaps installing and removing the tonneau;
I've slit my new door panel by mashing the seat belt buckle between it and
the seat (*&#@&^$%#$).

But you know what?   It IS worth it.   At my car's "debut" at a club
gathering this weekend, it got favorable reviews.   And it will be all
shined up for its first car show next weekend, Moss Motor's "Britfest" East.

As you can tell, I'm still glowing with that feeling of accomplishment, as
you seem to be.  Tip of the glass to ya!

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO

Succasunna, NJ USA

OPTIMIST: A Spitfire owner who expects his car to run FLAWLESSLY and
fastens his seat belts BEFORE starting his car.