Re: Trunnions????

To: Nikki MW1 <NikkiMW1@aol.com>, Spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Trunnions????
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@scooter.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 18:51:13 -0400
At 11:43 AM 4/17/98 EDT, Nikki MW1 wrote:
>Listers,
>I don't mean to sound dumb (but I am a blonde) (be nice).  But what is a
>trunnion?

Nikki,

Don't sell yourself short, any lady that changes her own starter is OK in
my book.

The Trunnion is a two-way joint at the bottom of the front suspension.  Its
purpose is to allow two planes (directions) of movement in the lower
control arm -- the triangular piece that connects the vertical link at the
wheel.   A picture can be seen in the TRF catalogue, page 30,
#140919/140920; or in the SpitBits web site:

http://www.spitbits.com/~spitbits/spitfire%20mk4%20suspension.htm

Item 9 in the first picture.

Modern cars usually use a second ball joint at the lower position.

There is a trunnion at the rear hub in the Spit too.

Proper lubrication materials (oil or grease) is a subject that comes up
periodically on the various lists.   It seems I've started the latest
one!!!   <OH NO, Mr. Bill>   :-O

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO
Succasunna, NJ USA
"Now that cars are better, why do they keep lowering the speed limits?"