Re: lubricating cables

To: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: lubricating cables
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 12:27:25 -0700
Malcolm,
You are right about that.  Even the wet graphite is awfully messy.  I
always wear gloves when lubing the cables.  It has been a long time
since I purchased any, but as I recall I bought a small plastic bottle
with an elongated top (like a can of penetrating oil) that you cut the
end off of.  I don't remember who made it, but I'm sure it is available
somewhere.

Joe

Malcolm Walker wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Joe Curry wrote:
>
> > Remove the cable from the back of the guage and apply the lubricant into
> > the housing.  Twist on the cable to work the lubricant into the lower
> > parts of the cable housing.  With the lower end attached, the cable
> > won't spin freely and the lubricant is very thin and will flow down the
> > cable.
>
> The only graphite lube I could get locally was in a spray bomb, and the
> liquid carrier for this stuff tends to flash away very quickly.  Is there
> an alternate method, or should i try to find "wet" graphite?  (the bottle
> says "dry"...)
>
> Or do I try to find powdered graphite, with no carrier?
>
> -Malcolm
>
> PS another downside- spray graphite gets *everywhere* and it is messy

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer