Spitfire starting/wiring problems

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Spitfire starting/wiring problems
From: "Chris Prugh" <prubrew@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 13:14:10 -0700
Okay kids,

    I'm at home with daughter #2 (who has a 102 fever), missing out on the
family Easter feast :(

    I figure while she is down for a nap, I'll swap out my questionable
original solenoid for the new one I just got.  Sounds like a fairly easy
swap...no?  Justunplug wires and plug in on new solenoid, fasten down cables
and solenoid to firewall.

    Turn the key...cranks just fine, but only wants to catch when I release
the key.  Pull off coil wire and test for spark.  Get initial spark as key
turns to starter motor position, but no spark while cranking.  Get another
spark as I turn key off.

    How did I do this?  What wires did I inadvertantly misfit?  A little
background re: ignition:

Mallory Dual point dizzy
Mallory coil
Crane  EI Sytem
Mallory ballast resistor

All fully functional this morning before I swapped out the solenoid.  Help
me Dan Masters...wherever you are

Thanks in advance, I'll be sitting here waiting for the Masters to resume
till I get some assistance

Chris Prugh
72 Spitfar
Morgan Hill, CA
Triumph Travelers Sports Car Club
Publicity Director
TTSCC is the host Club for Triumphest 1999