Re: Re:License Plate Mounting

To: "Brad Kahler" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>, <scott.barr@mccarty-law.com>
Subject: Re: Re:License Plate Mounting
From: "Larry Quirk" <Larry.E.Quirk@gov.ab.ca>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 22:30:25 -0600
My solution is to put small dobs (little blobs) of silicon seal at key
points on the back of the plate.  Then dip your finger in soapy water and
smooth the dobs to about 1/8" thickness -->  wait overnight for the silicon
to set up and bolt that now vibration free plate back on.  I also use allen
head bolts to fix the plate.  Haven't seen a plate thief who carries allen
keys yet.
Larry(SPITMAN)

----------
> From: Brad Kahler <Brad.Kahler@141.com>
> To: scott.barr@mccarty-law.com
> Cc: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
> Subject: Re:License Plate Mounting
> Date: Thursday, April 09, 1998 5:11 PM
>
> Hi Scott,
>
> > I've left the plate OFF the front of my GT6, tempting the low
> > enforcement community to rain their wrath upon me, so I can't
> > comment there except to say that I agree it looks a little silly out
> > front.
>
> I'm tempted to put two holes in the middle of the plate and mount it
> that way, there again, I don't know what the local law enforcement
> would say!!
>
> > As to the back plate, I've stuck the fuzzy side of velcro (the
> > self-adhesive type) on the back of the plate to keep it from marking
> > the paint.  I'll be interested to hear your solution!
>
> Yours is the first response back but it sounds like a workable one.
> I would assume as long as the plate is under a little tension from
> the velcro it can't vibrate which would keep it from rubbing.  Thats
> my real conern with what I have now. Rubbing.  Even though it would
> probably be hidden under the plate, there has to be a better way
> than what was originally provided.
>
> So far yours has my vote!
>
> Thanks
>
> Brad  (In Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)
>
> 1964 Spitfire4            BFC25720L (Waiting for license plates now)
> 1966 TR4A                CT72398L (Car is finally home and ready for
Restoration)
> 1951 Dodge Truck    82217766  B-3-B-108 (Frame back in garage and ready
to paint)