RE: swapping engines, the real reason

To: "'larry hooven'" <dirty_howi@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: swapping engines, the real reason
From: "Gambony, Jim" <jim.gambony@eds.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 10:03:40 -0500
Larry,

Sorry I missed the flamefest.  I understand your point though.  When my 1500
motor died in '89 there was a strong temptation to try to fit an "alternate"
powerplant.  The one I was inclined to pick was the Mazda rotary.  Short and
compact, powerfull with a willingness to rev (up to 10k in autocross trim!).
And it's been fitted to other lbc's before, so someone would know what mods
need to be made.  Grass Roots Motorsports is (slowly) doing just that to a
late 1500, if you're looking for published ideas.

If you are going to change to a different powerplant then it'd help if the
engine came from a front engine/rear drive platform.  That way the motor
mounts would be  on the sides of the block, not on the ends like the typical
transverse front driver.  From there it'd be a matter of going to a good
boneyard with a tape measure to see what would fit in the stock space with
the minimum of mods, within your budget.

My only other question is how the price of your spit motor got up to $3k?
My first motor (new +.020 pistons, Kent cam, crank cut, head redone (but no
hardened seats :-( , new oil pump, etc.   ran me about $1200 for parts and
machining.  That included paying $300 for the head job (should only have
been $150, my friend mistook my question of a "good" shop to mean a "quick"
one!).  I've found a better local shop (only 50 miles away!), and so a stock
rebuild should run right at the $1k mark, depending upon what parts specials
I can latch onto!

Jim Gambony
too many lbc's to list!