RE: Spitfire Overdrive install

To: "'Neil Penberthy'" <neil@liant.com>
Subject: RE: Spitfire Overdrive install
From: Peter Cebalo <cebalo@NthShore.govt.nz>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 11:18:28 +1200
Hi Neil,

Buy a special clutch plate from John Kippings. He sells a plate for
this. This is much easier. Then you won't have to install the 1500
flywheel on the 1300 motor you have.

You can probably get a good idea of the state of the OD by looking at
the clutch lining on the OD by separating the front and back half of the
OD. If it's pitted or badly cracked it should be replaced. You will have
to replace the two middle gaskets if you do this.

Speedo reading will also be wrong since the single rail OD box has
speedo gears for the 3.63 rear axle. Recalibrate speedo or change speedo
gears in the OD for your 3.89 diff.

Alternatively - do it the hard way and convert your 3-rail with a new
mainshaft and adapter plate and use the OD from the single rail or a 2.5
saloon. I am doing this at the moment. Single rail gearboxes are rare in
NZ....

Peter Cebalo

Auckland, New Zealand

73 Spitfire Mk IV ( getting an overdrive real soon now! )