shotimes

RE: [Shotimes] Brakes

To: <TBailSHO@aol.com>, <shotimes@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [Shotimes] Brakes
From: "Ron Porter" <ronporter@ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2006 12:09:48 -0400
You have never had the brakes flushed? Do that first!! It is a job that
should be done about every 2 years.

You are correct about "perceived" stopping distance. Of those three
vehicles, the SHO will have the best stopping distance, but the lousiest
pedal feel.

The KEY thing that decreases actual stopping distance is better tires. Now,
in a track situation, aftermarket brakes don't stop the car in a shorter
distance on the 1st stop, but they insure that the 10th stop will still be
good.

I would do the rear brakes, change the four rubber brake hoses at each wheel
and flush the system. That will bring back the original "feel".

FWIW, my buddy has a relatively low-mile '89 Coupe de Ville. He did the
front brakes and bled them, but still have a soft pedal. We power-bled the
fronts only, as he said he paid a shop t flush the system a year or two ago
when he had a rear drum repaired. The front only flush helped, but not much.
We then flushed the repaired rear drum, which looked good with no bubbles
and clear fluid.

We then did the other rear drum. It was obviously never flushed and had
original '89 fluid in that line. The fluid was black & thick and full of
bubbles!! After we were done, he said the brakes felt 2x as good as they
ever did.

Ron Porter