Re: [Shop-talk] Tool Dolly

To: john <jniolon@att.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Tool Dolly
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 16:12:48 -0600
Cc: shop-talk@autox.team.net
On Sat, Nov 26, 2022 at 9:16 AM john <jniolon@att.net> wrote:

> I'm like Doug...never had much success with "plasticky" stuff with
> questionable wheels...
>
> I'd invest in some good bearing wheels or at least metal bushings of adequate
> size...( the larger the wheel...the easier it will roll) giving
> consideration to how much it's going to raise my work surface.
> good wheels will cost as much as the "land of almost right" platform
>
> I'd either find a suitably sized pallet or build a substantial  wood frame
> and bolt on the wheels.

Mobile bases for table saws are a problem that's well solved by
commercial offerings.  Unless you have a supply of salvaged casters,
materials to build one are going to cost nearly the same as buying
one, and commercial bases have a number of features that make them
much better than most shop-built stands
(most notably, completely unloading the wheels when the saw is in
use.)  Don't get me wrong, I love shop built tooling, but i'd save my
energy for solving unique problems, and not ones shared by everyone
with a table saw.