Re: [Shop-talk] Tool Dolly

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Tool Dolly
From: Karl Vacek <stearman809@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 08:39:51 -0600
Cc: shop-talk@autox.team.net
--===============6694722064740757367==

--184b4615fa850242806ed99613

You want strong and stable plus good locking in place when you're cutting.
That's going to be a top heavy machine to drag around.   We laminated two
thicknesses of 3/4 maple plywood and installed casters at the corners - 2
fixed and two steerable, able to lock up easily from the front.  The maple
plywood was something we had readily available as cut offs from work (a
lifetime ago).  Super strong and rigid.  The base is a few inches larger
than the base of the cabinet, with the contact points of the casters around
the edges of the cabinet.

Were I to do it over I'd make the movie base significantly larger than the
base cabinet of the Unisaw and use 5 or 6 inch casters. The wider base
would slightly increase the floor space it takes (I push a scrap barrel,
etc under it when it's stored), but make it safer to roll across large
expansion joints, while larger casters would also help with uneven surfaces
and raise the saw slightly, which I wouldn't mind as I'm tall.

Karl

--184b4615fa850242806ed99613

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.=
w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
n you're cutting.&nbsp; That's going to be a top heavy machine to drag arou=
nd.&nbsp; &nbsp;We laminated two thicknesses of 3/4 maple plywood and insta=
lled casters at the corners - 2 fixed and two steerable, able to lock up ea=
sily from the front.&nbsp; The maple plywood was something we had readily a=
vailable as cut offs from work (a lifetime ago).&nbsp; Super strong and rig=
id.&nbsp; The base is a few inches larger than the base of the cabinet, wit=
h the contact points of the casters around the edges of the cabinet.&nbsp;<=
 make the movie base significantly larger than the base cabinet of the Unis=
aw and use 5 or 6 inch casters. The wider base would slightly increase the =
floor space it takes (I push a scrap barrel, etc under it when it's stored)=
, but make it safer to roll across large expansion joints, while larger cas=
ters would also help with uneven surfaces and raise the saw slightly<span s=
tyle=3D"font-size: 12pt;">, which I wouldn't mind as I'm tall.&nbsp;</span>=
div dir=3D"auto">Karl&nbsp;</div></body>

--===============6694722064740757367==--